21 February 2011

#42 Łochów, Poland

Warsaw's Old Town (PolishStare Miasto, colloquially: Starówka) is the oldest historic district of the city. It is bounded by Wybrzeże Gdańskie, along the bank of the Vistula, and by GrodzkaMostowa and Podwale Streets. It is one of Warsaw's most prominent tourist attractions.

Warsaw's Old Town was established in the 13th century. Initially surrounded by an earthwork rampart, prior to 1339 it was fortified with brick city walls. The town originally grew up around the castle of the Dukes of Mazovia that later became the Royal Castle. The Market Square (Rynek Starego Miasta) was laid out sometime in the late 13th or early 14th century, along the main road linking the castle with the New Town to the north.

Until 1817 the Old Town's most notable feature was the Town Hall built before 1429. In 1701 the square was rebuilt by Tylman Gamerski, and in 1817 the Town Hall was demolished. Since the 19th century, the four sides of the Market Square have borne the names of four notable Poles who once lived on the respective sides: Ignacy Zakrzewski(south), Hugo Kołłątaj (west), Jan Dekert (north) and Franciszek Barss (east). 

Property No #30

Date of Inscription on the list of UNESCO: 1980

Thank you, Beata !

Sent on: Feb 17, 2011
Received on: Feb 19, 2011

No comments: