20 August 2012

#127 San Francisco, California, USA

Mission San Carlos Borroméo del río Carmelo, also known as the Carmel Mission, is a Roman Catholic mission church in Carmel, California.

It was the headquarters of the original upper Las Californias Province missions headed by Father Junípero Serra from 1770 until his death in 1784.

The mission also was the seat of the padre presidente, Father Fermin Francisco de Lasuen. It was destroyed in the mid-19th century, only to be restored beginning in 1884. It remains a parish church today. It is the only one of the California Missions to have its original bell tower dome.

U.S. National Register of Historic Places: October 15, 1966
California Historical Landmark: October 9, 1960

On the Stamp: A “sister” stamp to the 2010 Scouting stamp which featured a boy scout, the 2012 Celebrate Scouting (Forever®) stamp also reminds us that girls were not always included in the scouting movement. Among the first advocates for a sister scouting movement were the girls who demanded inclusion in the Crystal Palace Boy Scout Rally, the first rally of its kind, held in London, England, in 1909. A year later, boy scout pioneer Robert Baden-Powell and his sister Agnes Baden-Powell helped organize a scouting group for girls, The Girl Guides Association. Together they adapted his guidebook Scouting for Boys, and in 1912 they published the first official girl scouting manual.
Issue Date: June 9, 2012

Thank you, Katrina !

Sent on: August 10, 2012
Received on: August 15, 2012

No comments: