28 November 2012

#155 Abja-Paluoja, Estonia

Viljandi (GermanFellin) is a town and municipality in southern Estonia with a population of 19,150 (2011). It is the capital of Viljandi County. The town was first mentioned in 1283, upon being granted its town charter by Wilhelm von Endorpe. The town became a member of the Hanseatic League at the beginning of the 14th century, and is one of five Estonian towns and cities in the league. The popular Estonian newspaper Sakala was founded in Viljandi in 1878.

Viljandi castle (EstonianViljandi ordulinnusGermanOrdensburg Fellin) of Teutonic Order, construction of which started 1224 in place of a former hillfort, was one of the strongest castles in Livonia. Finally destroyed in the Polish-Swedish wars in early 17th century, ruins of it now form a popular resort area in ViljandiEstonia.

Date of Issue: March 29, 2012 - Definitive Stamps

Aitäh, Katrina !

Sent on: November 27, 2012
Received on: November 28, 2012

No comments: