21 February 2013

#193 Saint Petersburg, Russia | RU-1524963

The Chesme Church (RussianЧесменская церковь; full name Church of Saint John the Baptist at Chesme PalaceRussianце́рковь Рождества́ Иоа́нна Предте́чи при Че́сменском Дворце́), also called the Church of the Nativity of St. John the Baptist, is a small Russian Orthodox church at 12 Lensoveta Street, in Saint PetersburgRussia. It was built by the Russian court architect Yury Felten in 1780, at the direction of Catherine the GreatEmpress of Russia. A memorial church, it was erected adjacent to the Chesme Palace between Saint Petersburg and Tsarskoye Selo to commemorate the anniversary of Russia's 1770 victory over Turkish forces in Chesme Bay (TurkishÇeşme) in the Aegean Sea during the Russo-Turkish War of 1768–1774.

The church and Chesme Palace were the earliest Neo-Gothic constructions in the St Petersburg area. Considered by some to be St Petersburg's single most impressive church, it is a rare example of very early Gothic Revival influence in Russian church architecture.

Date of Issue: November 25, 2011 - The 100th Anniversary of the Russian Olympic Committee.

Date of Issue: August 12, 2009 - Architectural Constructons. Bridges.

Thank you, Alena (Alena37) !

Received on: February 21, 2013
Travel time: 12 days
Distance: 299 km (186 miles)

No comments: