19 April 2013

#233 Bangkok, Thailand

Wat Chaiwatthanaram (Thaiวัดไชยวัฒนาราม) is a Buddhist temple in the city of AyutthayaThailand, on the west bank of the Chao Phraya River, outside Ayutthaya island. It is one of Ayutthaya's best known temples and a major tourist attraction.

The temple was constructed in 1630 by the king Prasat Thong as the first temple of his reign, as a memorial of his mother's residence in that area. The temple's name literally means the Temple of long reign and glorious era. It was designed in Khmer style which was popular in that time.

It has a central 35 meter high prang in Khmer style (Thai: พระปรางด์ประธาน) with four smaller prangs. The whole construction stands on a rectangular platform. About halfway up there are hidden entrances, to which steep stairs lead.

The central platform is surrounded by eight chedi-shaped chapels (Thai: เมรุทิศ เมรุราย - Meru Thit Meru Rai), which are connected by a rectangular cross-shaped passage (Phra Rabieng). The passage had numerous side entries and was originally roofed and open inwards, but today only the foundations of the pillars and the outside wall still stand. Along the wall, there were 120 sitting Buddha statues, probably painted in black and gold.

Property No #576

It's in the List of UNESCO as a part of Historic City of Ayutthaya.
Date of Inscription on the List of UNESCO: 1991

On the Stamp: King of Thailand - Bhumibol Adulyadej.

Thank you, Mint !

Sent on: April 10, 2013
Received on: April 19, 2013

No comments: