14 August 2013

#285 Dresden, Germany

The Dresden Frauenkirche (GermanDresdner FrauenkircheChurch of Our Lady) was a Roman Catholic Church and was taken by the Protestants during the Reformation and is currently a Lutheran church in Dresden, the capital of the German state of Saxony. It is considered an outstanding example of Protestant sacred architecture, featuring one of the largest domes in Europe.

Built in the 18th century, the church was destroyed in the bombing of Dresden during World War II. The remaining ruins were left as an anti-war memorial, following decisions of local East German leaders. The church was rebuilt after the reunification of Germany. The reconstruction of its exterior was completed in 2004 and its interior in 2005. The church was reconsecrated on 30 October 2005 with festive services lasting through the Protestant observance of Reformation Day on 31 October. It now also serves as symbol of reconciliation between former warring enemies.

Date of Issue: May 2, 2013 | Europa 2013 "The Postman Van"
The stamp depicts Lloyd's Electric Postman Van from 1911.

Thank you, Denny !

Sent on: August 8, 2013
Received on: Augsut 14, 2013

No comments: