23 July 2015

#929 Räpina, Estonia

Räpina (VõroRäpinäGermanRappin) is a town in Põlva CountyEstonia. The administrative centre of Räpina Parish, it has a population of 2,867 (as of 1 January 2009).

Sillapää Castle was built in the middle of the 19th century. The castle is under state protection due to its remarkable architectural ensemble. Its ground floor accommodates the Räpina Local Lore and Gardening Museum and the Räpina Folk School (Räpina Rahvakool) of Räpina Vabahariduse Ühendus (Adult Learning Centre of Räpina). Räpina Music School is on the renovated first floor. The castle is surrounded by an arboretum with  trees and bushes from over 600 taxa.

St Michael's Lutheran Church, dedicated to the archangel Michael, was completed in 1785. It stands on the shores of a man-made lake in Räpina and enjoys beautiful views over Sillapää castle and park. The walls of the church, which was constructed in Late Baroque style, are made from rendered natural stone. The front of the church is adorned with sculptures dating from the time of its construction, which symbolise Hope and Love.

One of the church's most valuable assets, the two-part altar painting entitled 'The Appearance of the Risen Jesus to Mary Magdalene' and 'The Burial of Jesus', was painted by Carl Antropoff in 1871.

Sent on: July 22, 2015
Received on: July 23, 2015

No comments: