Kõpu Lighthouse (Estonian: Kõpu tuletorn) is one of the best known symbols and tourist sights on the Estonian island of Hiiumaa. It is one of the oldest lighthouses in the world, having been in continuous use since its completion in 1531.
The lighthouse marks the Hiiu sandbank (Estonian: Hiiu madal, Swedish: Neckmansgrund) and warns ships away from the shoreline. Light from Kõpu Lighthouse can be used for navigation as far as 26 nautical miles (48 km; 30 mi) away, although in 1997 a radar lighthouse largely took over its role as navigation aid.
Kassari Chapel (Estonian: Kassari kabel) is a chapel on the island of Kassari in Hiiu County, Estonia, thought to date to the 18th century.
Kassari Chapel is the only functioning stone church in Estonia with a thatched roof. Major repair work bearing the date 1801 on an inner wall suggests that the current chapel was built in the 18th century, probably replacing a wooden structure dating to the 16th century.
|Date of Issue: March 17, 2016 - Architecture|
Sent on: July 14, 2016
Received on: July 19, 2016